February 12, 2022 – The California Armenian Legislative Caucus is holding two scholarship contests for the 2022 remembrance of the Armenian Genocide. California significant college learners from 9th quality by means of 12th quality are invited to participate in an essay contest and/or a visible arts contest to maximize higher recognition of the Armenian Genocide on its anniversary.
All winners will be contacted straight and declared to mainstream and Armenian media by the California Armenian Legislative Caucus on April 15, 2022. All winners will be awarded scholarships and will be acknowledged at the California Armenian Legislative Caucus’ annual Armenian Advocacy Working day and acquire distinctive recognition from the customers of the Armenian Caucus. Initial artwork will be requested from visual arts candidates if they are picked as a finalist for feasible display screen in the California Point out Capitol.
Requirements for just about every contest are specific below. Pupils may possibly enter the two contests, but submissions should be entered independently.
Essay Scholarship Awards:
1st Location: $1,000
Second Position: $750
Third Place: $500
Visual Art Scholarship Awards:
1st Place: $1,000
2nd Put: $750
Third Location: $500
The deadline for all essay and visible arts submissions is April 8, 2022. For concerns or much more info, remember to call Ryan Ahari by using e mail at: [email protected]
This year’s writing prompt phone calls on pupils to think that:
- They have been employed to operate for a nevertheless-to-be-created Armenian American Countrywide Museum, with the museum to be situated in Glendale, California.
- They have acquired term from the museum director that just one wing of the museum will be entitled Notable Armenian People.
- They are to share with the director, in the sort of an internal memo, 1 person’s name that really should be showcased in this wing of the museum and the explanation(s) that this name must so be highlighted.
The students’ internal memo should really be published employing the template down below and accompanying guidance:
Proposed Museum Exhibit
Armenian American Nationwide Museum
From: [Your Full Name]
[School Name] / [Grade]
Re: A Notable Armenian American
Advice for Proposed Museum Show
Day: [Insert Date]
Identify OF Person Currently being Proposed
(Insert here the title of the human being you are recommending. Yes, it can be a relative or another person you know. It can also be an individual you have only lately figured out about.)
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH (100 text max)
(Insert listed here a quick description of the life of the person you are recommending.)
Concentrated SKETCH (500 phrases max)
(Insert below what you would want to have obviously presented in the show about the person you are recommending. This is your prospect to go into element about this person, answering the issue: What helps make this Armenian American so notable?)
Private Connection (100 terms max)
(Insert listed here what triggered you to want to advocate this human being? Are you relevant to this individual? Have they achieved a little something that you too would like to complete? Does this person have a personalized story that you someway connect to? Share some thing about you that assists the museum exhibit customer greater have an understanding of why you proposed this person to be highlighted in the exhibit.)
Just take Away (50 words and phrases max)
(Insert in this article possibly a imagined or a concern that you want the general public to have in head following encountering your proposed part of the show. In other terms, what do you want the general public saying to by itself when it learns about the particular person you are recommending?)
MISCELLANEOUS (50 terms max)
(Insert here anything else you could possibly like to add. This can contain any photos, drawings, charts, guide excerpts, and so forth., but no inbound links to any video and/or audio clips or any webpages.)
All submissions have to be acquired by the California Armenian Legislative Caucus electronically on or right before April 8, 2022 by working with this submission variety. Any submissions sent soon after the deadline will not be acknowledged.
At the leading of your inner memo, make sure you include things like your name, age, tackle, significant faculty, and grade along with your teacher’s title, e mail address, and subject space.
Visible Art Standards:
This year’s theme is “Human to Human Conversation.” All applicants have to build their submission in holding with this theme.
- Private statement (300-500 words) describing the artwork and how it connects to the topic of human-to-human interaction. In the top remaining corner, applicant ought to incorporate: name, age, main tackle, significant university, grade, teacher’s name and matter (if applicable), cellphone quantity, and electronic mail deal with (this info will not rely as element of the complete phrase depend).
- Only two-dimensional, visible art submissions will be accepted. Submission sorts are constrained to drawings, paintings, photographs, electronic illustrations, and graphic design.
- Submissions may not exceed an 11×17 frame and ought to weigh significantly less than 25 kilos.
- Submissions may possibly not include things like any nudity, abnormal and/or graphic violence, racial slurs, derogatory and/or offensive language, profanity, and may possibly not make use of or replicate existing artwork. All submissions have to be first operate developed by the applicant.
- E mail subject matter, as very well as titles of the hooked up doc, should be formatted as follows: “CALC – Pupil Identify – Title of Piece” (e.g. CALC – William Saroyan – The Time of Your Lifestyle).
- Submissions ought to include things like the own statement and meet the conditions mentioned.
- Submissions have to incorporate a substantial-definition photograph of the artwork, be absolutely sure to just take a near up photograph with plenty of lighting for the reviewers to see the element of the function. It is satisfactory to submit up to 5 pics. Be conscious of the lighting of the piece and deliver different angles to showcase the depth of the artwork.
- Submissions ought to incorporate a single recent substantial-definition photograph of the applicant, ideal for publication (e.g. cap and robe shots, expert headshots, or excellent images/close-ups of the applicant).
All submissions should be obtained by the California Armenian Legislative Caucus electronically on or prior to April 8, 2022 by working with this submission sort. Any submissions sent after the deadline will not be approved.
At the top of your individual statement, make sure you involve your identify, age, address, significant college, and grade alongside with your teacher’s name, e-mail address, and issue region.
For Historical Context for The two Contests:
New York Situations –“Allies Punish Turks Who Murder” May 24, 1915
New York Situations – “Armenians Dying In Jail Camps” August 21, 1916
http://question.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free of charge/pdf?res=9800EED91E3FE233A25752C2A96E9C946796D6CF
Supply: Senator Anthony J. Portantino