Halloween Party At Shinola Hotel + An All-Female Mariachi Band3 min read
Happy Saturday, people of Detroit! Here’s everything you need to know today in town.
First, today’s weather:
Breezy with a few showers. High: 58 Low: 46.
Here are the top stories today in Detroit:
- FBI raids house where abducted 9-year-old was raped on Detroit’s west side. (FOX 2 Detroit)
- Meet Michigan’s first five-member all-female mariachi band. (Detroit Free Press)
- Detroit warns residents of housing scam offering free homes. (CBS Detroit)
- Missouri man charged with bringing cocaine into Canada via Ambassador Bridge. (Detroit News)
- Detroit’s Shinola Hotel to host halloween party to celebrate the release of clue: The Shinola Hotel Edition. (CBS Detroit)
This Newsletter will run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday each week.
- Bridge Builders – Joo Won Park – Spread Art @Detroit Contemporary (12:00 p.m.)
- DPSCD Dance Day @ DSA – Detroit School of Arts (9:00 a.m.)
- College Prep – St. Stephen AME Church (11:00 a.m.)
- Make a Blanket Day (12:00 p.m.)
Detroit Patch Notebook
- Detroit Institute of Arts: Study for Painting with White Form”, Wassily Kandinsky, 1913, oil on canvas, DIA no. 57.234. #FeaturedArt — A pioneer of abstract modern art — Russian painter Wassily Kandisky’s “Study for Painting with White Form. (Instagram)
- Detroit Police Department: “Yesterday, Detroit police and Cleary University announced a custom degree completion program for DPD officers and staff. Officers can pursue a Bachelor’s degree in business administration. (Facebook)
- Detroit Police Department: “Chief James E. White attended the 33rd Annual Candlelight Vigil at the National Mall in Washington D.C. on Oct. 14. The vigil honored 701 fallen police officers by adding their names to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. (Facebook)
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra: “The orchestra is ready to take this journey. Learn more about Music Director Jader Bignamini’s vision to bring audiences closer to the musicians through improved sightlines. (Facebook)
- Detroit Police Department: “On Wednesday, we announced a new dual enrollment partnership between Wayne County Community College District and the Detroit Police Department. (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Saturday! See you tomorrow morning for another update. If you’re liking these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Dylan Siwicki
About me: I was born and raised on Detroit’s Westside, in the hard working blue-collar Polish neighborhood of Warrendale. I’m a Detroit Public School graduate who fought hard to earn my education. My aspiration into journalism came as a young kid, when I began following the corruption scandal of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. My first break in to the journalism world began with the opportunity to work at the Michigan Journal, where I primarily reported on campus and local news throughout Dearborn community. I eventually worked my way to news editor. In correlation to work in journalism, I had an amazing opportunity to study and write about many different cultures and backgrounds at the Piast Institute, which also helped me prepare for this role. So with first-hand experience growing up in a tight-knit neighborhood, I know the importance of delivering news and telling stories that impact local communities. And as a breaking news editor at Patch for Metro Detroit, it’s my job to deliver that news. So feel free to contact me about news tips or your own unique experiences at [email protected]
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Detroit Daily? Email me at [email protected]